Share

Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious

 

DIRECTORY

Blog - Tracing our History

 

Family

Tracing our History - Home

Kevin's Portal

Family Anthology
(Articles/Books)

Cemeteries
& Transcriptions

Photos

Videos

Family Madness

Newsletter

 

Family - Secured
(Password Protected)

Family Files - Archive

Family Tree

Family Book

 

History

History

 

Other

Links

Guestbook

 

Links

particularbaptist.com

Kevin's Wilderness
Journeys

Wilderness Photos

Kevin's Horticulture

Ausquaria

Random Thoughts

Computer Aids

Nutters Place

Memorial to Rebecca

 

 

Local History
AUSTRALIA: TERALBA

 

This page is the starting point for information regarding the Lake Macquarie town of Teralba. Teralba is located in New South Wales, Australia, not too far from Newcastle, and is the next suburb from Boolaroo toward Toronto. If you are able, and are willing, to give information, photos, etc, to assist in the building of this developing resource tool, please contact me.

 

On This Page:

 

INTRODUCTION:

 

EARLY HISTORY:

In 1829 Captain James St. John Ranclaud was given a land grant which covered the Teralba area. Ranclaud had served in the British Army for some twenty years, in both England and India, before deciding to settle with his family in the New South Wales colony. He was born in 1786 and had married Sussannah Boscowen.

Before travelling to Australia, Ranclaud was given a letter for the then Governor of New South Wales, Ralph Darling, by R. W. Ray (of the Colonial Office in London). The letter was to recommend Ranclaud to the governor as a free settler. The Ranclaud family arrived in Sydney in 1829 and was quickly given permission for a land grant of 2 560 acres. He put forward his selection to the government on August 13, 1829, and it was approved on September 4, 1829. He selected an additional 914 acres on February 9, 1830, with it approved May 17, 1830.

The first grant stretched from the mouth of Cockle Creek to the Sugarloaf Range and included the Barnsley area. The second grant stretched west from the Five Islands to Marmong Creek and further inland.

Ranclaud actually built his home at present day Barnsley, to the south of Sandy Creek, calling it 'Trialba.' However, he died on May 30, 1832 and the family then moved to Sydney.

On November 14, 1837, James Ranclaud (son of the original James Ranclaud) sold the first property to James Weller. In 1838 it was bought by David Scott. The second grant area was owned by James Mitchell, who died on February 1, 1869. His son's (David Scott Mitchell) library was developed into the now famous Mitchell Library of Sydney.

A daughter of James Mitchell had married William Bell Quigley on May 8, 1870. With the passing of Mitchell's wife two years after him, the land passed to Margaret Scott Quigley. The Quigley home was built next to present day Booragul High School. William Quigley died March 18, 1879.

 

RELATED LINKS:

 

MORE INFORMATION:

  • Teralba; P. Jepson; Lake Macquarie and District Historical Society; 1967; Available from Speers Point Library.

 

 

 

Contact

UPDATED: 27 February 2011

tracingourhistory.com 2011